How To Rank your YouTube Video (For Beginners)

Today, I’m stepping a bit out of my comfort zone because, well, I’m not a YouTube expert. However, I am an SEO enthusiast, and I believe that SEO principles can work wonders on YouTube videos too.

Keyword Research for Your Video

Just like with traditional SEO, keyword research is the first step to success. Start by finding keywords that are relevant to your video content. Tools like Google’s Keyword Planner or YouTube’s autocomplete can be your best friends here.

• :ballot_box_with_check: Identify a primary keyword that accurately represents your video’s topic.
  • :ballot_box_with_check: Look for long-tail keywords related to your primary keyword for additional optimization opportunities.

Optimize Video Title, Description, and Tags

Now, let’s apply those keywords strategically:

• Video Title: Craft a compelling title that includes your primary keyword. Keep it engaging and relevant to entice clicks.
  • Description: Write a detailed description that provides context about your video. Include relevant keywords naturally.
  • Tags: Add relevant tags that mirror your chosen keywords. These help YouTube understand your video’s content.

The most important part: Create High-Quality Content :high_brightness:

I may not be a video expert, but I do know that quality matters and without a good video - you probably won’t rank.

Your video should be:

• :ballot_box_with_check: Well-shot and clear.
  • :ballot_box_with_check: Engaging and informative.
  • :ballot_box_with_check: Aligned with the viewer’s search intent.

Create. Good. Videos!

Encourage Viewers

YouTube loves it when viewers engage with your video. Encourage likes, comments, and shares by:

• :ballot_box_with_check: Asking questions and prompting discussions in your video.
  • :ballot_box_with_check: Responding to comments promptly to foster a sense of community.

Video Length and Audience Retention

Pay attention to your video’s length. Longer videos may perform well if they keep viewers engaged. Check your audience retention metrics in YouTube Analytics and make improvements if needed.

Thumbnails and Click-Through Rate (CTR)

• :ballot_box_with_check: Design eye-catching custom thumbnails that represent your video.
  • :ballot_box_with_check: A high CTR can positively impact rankings. Make sure your thumbnail and title are a click-worthy duo.

Promote Your Video

Spread the word! Share your video on social media, embed it on your website if applicable, and collaborate with others in your niche to expand your reach.

Remember, YouTube SEO is a dynamic game. While I’m not a YouTube expert, I firmly believe that with your SEO skills, you can apply these principles to boost your video rankings and grow your YouTube channel. So, go ahead and give it a try, and don’t forget to share your experiences and questions right here on our SEO forums. Happy YT! :rocket:

If you have any questions, let me know down below (just reply to this thread) … and if you’d like, check out my other SEO tutorials :slight_smile: